Wednesday 5 December 2007

Reserve & Resolve

In the most recent of days, where have I been? Where indeed, my warm-minded Fulham contemporaries, have I been?

Out on manoeuvres with The Parsons Green Fundamentalist Militia?

Eating skylarks in a freezing garret?

No, fellas: neither. Last evening I limped on down to the Cottage, floodlights blazin’ by the river, to view the latest gaggle of Black and White understrappers attempting to catch teacher’s eye. We all like a tryer don’t we, chums, and enthusiasm’s the father-in-law of achievement, or so Ma says.

Well, these boys were plenty keen, and you would hope so considering how callow most were: some had less bum fluff than me. So, on the seesaw of virtues, resolve might be on the “up” end, and panache on the “low”, but I’m sure that by the time they’re sporting shadows at five o’ clock, they’ll be shaving with the first team.

It was particularly cheering to see that cheeky renaissance man Mr. Volz striding out. I had donned a pair of suedette bib-shorts, and waved around an antique stein of Ma Knows Best, to hearten him following his sideline spell. I think he appreciated it. I hope he did, for by the end of the game my shanks were a-shivering like nobody knows. I had to race home for a vigorous rub down with some Dante’s mustard liniment.

Last night I did see the future, mateys, so ready yourself. For when it comes today will be yesterday.

Flamin’ scallions and Up The Fulham!

No comments: